Welcome!! Thanks for showing interest in something that is near and dear to my heart!! Walk with me through some trials and triumphs in my life :)

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

BZZZ....

I hear a constant buzz in my ear, and I'm blaming it on Miles' hearing aids!  That little bugger gets the biggest kick out of the reaction and attention he gets from pulling his hearing aids out.  However, he has gotten SO MUCH BETTER about handing his hearing aids over to either his sister (who I tend to refer to as Mommy #2, for obvious reasons) or myself.  What a blessing, I have been praying for less time spent in search of hearing equipment and that prayer has so VERY clearly been met.  He is talking, singing, verbally expressing his love for me -- that's right! I taught him how to say 'I LOVE YOOOOUUU!' and point right at me :)  Hey, sometimes you just need a self-esteem boost, what better way than teaching a 20 month old to randomly approach you with that 3 word sentence :)  Our family is full of word counters.  You'll often find me counting with my fingers 1-2-3-4-5, after Kendra or Miles says something.  I celebrate those small successes, and look forward to the next time I can feel so accomplished!  I often think, what in the world would our life look like if language wasn't so important?  What would we spend our time on?  If I didn't have to be so MINDFUL and INTENTIONAL and GOAL DRIVEN-- it just wouldn't be me, I don't think.  Not that those are necessarily bad qualities to have, but sometimes I feel like this way of life (parenting 3 Deaf or hard of hearing children) has really stretched me.  Sometimes it makes me a better person, and sometimes I am a ticking time bomb!!  Its really a good thing that I have found faith through this process.  I'm so thankful that I can be confident that this life is mine for HIS PURPOSE!!

Kendra is going to be starting in a pre-school program in January, after she turns 3.  We have been having extra home therapy since they have been evaluating her strengths and opportunities.  For me, its been feeling like its either Pass/Fail -- Pass, if they feel she is prepared and Fail, if the tests determine that she is socially behind or unable to keep up with kids her age.  It has been weighing heavy on my heart, and unfortunately it won't be as clear as pass/fail.  It seems that it doesn't matter how much reassuring her teachers give me, I'm still on edge that whatever we are doing is just not enough.  I absolutely MUST share though, this past Sunday at church during praise in worship she was just a-singing away!  I will never forget being told that my kids would more than likely never enjoy music.  Defying the odds, all 3 of my kids are music junkys.. and on Sunday, I learned that Kendra can carry a tune :)  She just kept singing the same 3 words "follow yoooouu, yea. Follow yooou, yea yea".  This weekend was a milestone for us!  We attended a church luncheon, with pretty great success!! There was only one spilled glass of water, and we made it out of there with 3 full kids and a Mom and Dad that had at least gotten a few bites each.  Wooohoooo, were making progress!!  Life is almost getting too easy :) We can't let that go on for too long.  And no, that is not an announcement :)

Noah had somewhat of a rough week at school.  He was having some bus bully issues, where a young boy was taking his hearing aids off him and shaking his head back and forth to see his CI magnet come loose off of his head.  Matt took care of it, talking to the teacher and making the bus driver more aware.  I'm just thankful that Noah was able to tell us about the situation.  He didn't seem overly bothered by the boy, just annoyed at the lapse in hearing, while his CI was off.  The situation made me feel so sad, way more sad than Noah.  He has a personality that is just so forgiving and easy going.  I pray he never loses his bright smile and   sweet sense of humor.  He got that from his Daddy, they are both so full of joy.

Update on living at my moms house.  Its been going pretty great!!  I have kitchen duty on Tuesday (I know, how am I ever going to want to leave if I only have to clean the kitchen one day) and I cook a few suppers a week.  We meal plan (and might I just say we have ALL saved mega $$$$$) and shop very intentionally.  I have really appreciated being around my little brothers.  My youngest brother Dylin has been coming to our youth group and has REALLY enjoyed it!  I've been thankful to my husband, since he has done SUCH an awesome job helping my little brothers with homework, being an example, leader and friend to them.  He recently helped Dylin through a gun safety curriculum online.  I just know that my brothers are missing out on that father figure, since my dad passed.  I know I miss it terribly.  I'm thankful for a big brother that will always be there for me, even if his sense of humor is one that I may never get ;)  I know my sister Ashley has grown so much, into an impressive and successful young lady.  She often talks about my dad, and her more fond memories of him.  He would be very proud of her, and would have enjoyed seeing her blossom.  Sometimes it is tough having my brother live further away from us.  My sisters headlight is out on her car, which is something that my Dad would have LOVED to tinker with and fix.  She is so blessed to have the relationship with my brother that she does.  He steps right in and always tries to help with whatever he can.  One day he will walk our beautiful sister down the aisle -- just like my dad did for me when I married Matt.  He will get to the steps at the church and when the pastor says "Who gives this women to marry this man" my brother will say her "ma" and I, just like my dad did :) -- My mom is my "ma".  Anyways, just been doing a lot of reminiscing since moving back into my childhood home.  My dads birthday is in November, the holidays just aren't the same without him here, and I have not lived in this home since my dad was here with me.  It's been a little emotional at times, thinking of all the memories I have here.  However, I'm so appreciative that I can still picture some really great times, with him here with us.

I am super-duper pumped for this weekend!!! I am going to the Hearts at Home conference in Rochester with an AMAZING group of ladies!!!!  I read the e-mail that said there will be a package complete with tissue and chocolate -- sounds like my kind of weekend!! :)  Can't wait to be challenged and grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment