For those of you who know me, you probably know that I have an amazing and loving husband.. not to mention those 3 beautiful children! Some of you may know that I'm on a journey in life trying to make sure that I life life to the fullest while giving all the glory to GOD!!
I'm starting this blog to see if I really have it in me to be honest with myself and everyone else in my life. My life is full of ups and downs, smiles and frowns. Take this journey with me as it is intended to be the "prequel" to a book I have not begun writing :) I've been dreaming of writing an impactful book about perserverance, defying odds, overcoming negativity and living a full life despite any obstacles that might come along the way.
Back to my 3 beautiful babies (well practically babies..). Noah is 4 1/2 years old and was born in the dead heat of a July summer. He was perfect, especially since he was no longer affecting my ability to breathe. I had no idea the significant changes being pregnant had on expecting mothers!! It was hard work! When Noah was born, he was 9 lbs. 5 oz. and full of hair. He was born via c-section and came out holloring. My husband and I were overcome with joy!! I spent 3 days in the hospital, and silly me.. could NOT wait to get home to put my precious little Noah in all of the baby equipment that was set up in our home. The day before being sent home, Noah had his at birth hearing screening. This was a new standard at the hospital where I delivered. I had no idea that this test would and the results of the test would have such an impact on our lives.
It turns out that Noah had a severe to profound hearing loss. Fourteen months after Noahs birth, he would undergo surgery to recieve a cochlear implant. Cochlear implant is just fancy terminology for "the ear thingy that is magnetically attached to my sons head which sends messages to his brain and allows him to hear".
Upon testing, it was determined that my Noah had been passed 2 'bad' genes by his lovely parents. Everyone has two connexion 26 genes. It just so happens that my husband and I each have a mutated gene and we're also pretty good at passing them along during conception. With my husband and I carrying these mutated genes, it means that there is a 25% chance that any of our children would get the mutated genes. You have to have two mutated connexion 26 genes in order for it to effect your hearing. My husband and I hear fine, as we each have one mutated and one normal connexion 26 gene.
25% odds..... that's not that bad.. Right?!
At 2 1/2 years old, Noah welcomed baby sister Kendra to the world. She was a delightful baby, full of hair just like her big brother. Kendra is going to be 2 in a couple of weeks, and she adds sooooo much life to our household!! Kendra, at just 11 months old recieved her first cochlear implant. Two weeks after the first one, she recieved a second. Kendras hearing loss was more significant in both ears than her brother Noahs.
We tried to concieve Kendra for quite some time without success. It wasn't until we finally gave it up to God and prayed for her that we were blessed with her. After we had her, we were overcome with joy and we knew that we wanted to have another one soon. Knowing that it could take a LOOONG time to concieve again, we started to try for #3 when Kendra was just three months old. Apparently we knew what we were doing the third time around :)
Soon came Mr. Miles Allen. Miles is just a little over 12 months younger than Kendra. You see, Matt has a younger brother who is only 11 months younger than him. They are BEST friends and he always dreamt of having kids that could have the opportunity of having that sort of relationship with their siblings. Well, we certainly got it! Having kids that close together was tough at first, but each day I feel my life getting easier and easier. Their lack of dependance on me is sometimes hard on me as a mommy, but other times I am greatful for the break!
Miles has a little bit of a different story than Noah and Kendra, but nonetheless.. he also has a hearing loss. Miles' loss is more of a moderate range, only requiring hearing aids at this point. It is really tough to keep those tiny little ear buds in his ears!! I think he thinks they are gummy bears or something :)
Maybe this is too much for a first day of blogging.. but boy o boy, our lives are full of interesting stories. Thanks for walking with me on this journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment