Sometimes I get a little frazzled at my duties as a mama and teacher. This week, I was OVER-delighted to learn that Kendra is in around the 25% for SPEECH (and she understands more than she says!!!!) for her AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOO :) I know its less than average, but bear in mind that this scale is measured against NORMAL hearing children. Not to mention, Kendra has only been hearing for 12 months at the time of testing!! Couldn't be more proud to be her mama.. and her teacher :)
So I've been following through with the "working on myself" business. I can say that I am feeling refreshed and I think even doing a better job at being a caretaker for my children and being a wife for my husband. Working on myself so far has consisted of several minor tweaks to my everyday life. Currently, I have chosen to let go of the worries of how my children will behave outside of my home. I'm one of those Moms that worries that my kids are going to be the obnoxious, rough, loud kids. Or that I will have the children that won't let me leave the 'nursery' area to do whatever I've shown up to do. I also have reservations about dropping them off in big groups with not a lot of big helpers because I worry that they will be a burden with all of the 'extras' they come with (kendra-2 cochlear implants, Noah-1 aid, 1 implant and Miles-2 Hearing Aids). Yeah, my kids might be the ones that are a bit much to handle but ehh.. if it doesn't work out, I will just have to keep trying. I'm not afraid of 'exposing' the lil' Steffens to other people, just afraid of putting too much responsibility on the help! Did you know that if Kendra's CI's get mixed up (Left one put on right side or vice-versa) she will scream a schrill of pain/discomfort?? I'm not sure what exactly happens, but I know that it is not a good situation. I worry about things like that happening, if her 'ears' fall off. We call all the hearing devices ears. Or atleast we did up until Noah decided it was not sophisticated enough to label his hearing devices as ears ;) My little smarty pants prefers correct terminology these days. Imagine being out with us and having me say to you "uhoh, have you seen Kendra's right ear??" Sounds a bit funny, but that is how we talk. Matt and I question sometimes what an onlooker might think of us scolding our kids saying "Hey, you need to listen!" We've had a look a few times that I've read as "Lady, obviously they struggle to hear you". The truth is, they might struggle to hear. In large groups where there is a lot of background noise, it is difficult for them to decide what piece of noise they should be listening to. However, I can tell you Noah can hear a whisper. Noah can hear quite well, but sometimes he just choses not to LISTEN!! :) A good example of that is me asking Noah to pick up his legos -- He doesn't respond. I ask again, still no response. Next move of mine is to check to see if his processor is working. I take it off and he says HEY! I need that! Then, when I ask him why he wasn't answering me -- He tells me "Umm.. Maybe I didn't want to hear you". Imagine Noah with an ear to ear grin on his face... little stinker.
Continuing on with what I'm doing for myself to better myself.. DATE NIGHT!!!! A lot of times I need help from my family when it comes to watching my kids. If they aren't watching them for an appointment, then they are watching them so I can work. Sometimes I would just feel silly asking someone to watch them just so I could spend an evening with my husband. Even as I type this I think of how ridiculous it is to neglect my relationship with my husband because of my worries about what my family might think about me leaving my kids behind to go on a date with my husband. I TRULY believe spending time apart from the kids is important. Can't say I've perfected the art of making my husband #1, but I sure am trying!!
I'm reading more :) I forgot how much I really enjoy reading. I feel like it enhances my vocabulary to venture away from reading strictly - "Cat in the Hat" or "Llama llama, red pajama" ;) While those books are HUGE hits with my kids, I'm giving myself some time to read books of my own chosing. At first it was a chore, and I thought.. the last thing I wanted to be doing with my free time was reading more books. But lately, I can get lost in a book! It's such a stress reliever :)
I've decided to let my kids be kids and enjoy their toys, but to also hold them accountable for some of the cleanup. Noah likes to earn money by cleaning up toys and making his bed. The kids are getting used to not dumping out all the toys - and being able to play with a few at a time.
This may seem a bit silly, but I've been using pinterest a ton lately. A.) It is interesting and fun to see what is all on there, but mostly B.) I have found TONS of meal plans that have made my job of deciding what is for supper - WAY easier. I'm pretty sure I can cut my eat-out budjet in half by using this site. Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy saving money?? There is some sort of thrill I get from saving that I can't even explain! If I can get better about planning ahead on the grocery end, I think I will be making less trips there too. But I have to admit, its kind of a stress reliever to hit the grocery store kid free :) I think the trick to keeping my relationship with pinterest healthy is C.) Limit my time - set an alarm for a quit time :) A friend of mine sends her kids with a kitchen timer alerting them when it's time to come home.. I've stolen that idea to monitor my screen time :)
I love to laugh. I find great joy in making others laugh also! I can even giggle a bit just knowing that something in this post may have made someone laugh at the screen before them! I'm shy, but watch out when I break out of that shell!! My witty one-liners might just drive you nuts ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment