I just had a magnificent Valentines Day! Matt went into work early, so he could get off a little earlier to take me out for supper :) When I woke up, I saw a beautiful spread on my dining room table!! There was a vase filled with a beautiful flower arrangement, a candle lit, a decorative box filled with Andes mints and cream cheese frosted brownies!!! Whats even better about the brownies is.. He got them from Hy-Vee (I love you honey, but your not the next great baker ;)). I looked in amazement at the assortment he created for me when I realized he had the stereo on a low enough tone where it wasn't over-powering but I could hear it gently in the background. It was playing some beautiful music. I found my bible opened up to the book Song of Songs with vs. 10 and 11 highlighted. It read "How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride! How much more pleasing is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your perfume than any spice! Your lips drop sweetness as the honeycomb, my bride; milk and honey are under your tongue.
What a sweetie, right??
Poor guy though, this will be tough to top next year ;) I did feel pretty special! I know he had to have spent some time just thinking all those little details out.
For Valentines Day, I brought Kendra to the clinic! Well maybe that wasn't exactly a special occasion that brought us there.. it was for an ear infection :( On a bright note, Kendra has not had an ear infection in quite some time. I'm glad that its coming on now as more of a 'special occasion' rather than staying and planting its infectious self in her ear. They took a culture of the discharge that is coming out of her ear and my hope is that we might find out what bacteria is actually growing in there (it is quite smelly) and maybe be able to better treat or prevent it!
While we were at the clinic we had a nurse that we had never met before. Kendra, being her shy self initially was afraid to be weighed or even put down. This nurse was over-the-top amazing though. She was VERY patient with Kendra and also gentle and understanding. She asked us questions regarding Kendras implants. They were very genuine questions, which are always welcomed. As it turns out, she has a couple of cousins who are deaf. She marveled at Kendras speaking abilities.. At this point Kendra was showing off, couting 1-2-3-4-5, playing peek-a-boo and of course hamming up her audience with her great big dimples and ear to ear smile. I'm actually really appreciative of this visit, because our nurse gave me some of the kindest words of affirmation a stranger could EVER offer. She just commented on Kendras speech, mentioned her cuteness and what struck me the most is how she praised her happiness. She told me to "pat myself on the back for a job well done" and praised me for the follow through and hard work that we've put in since implanting.
I had dropped Miles off with my uncle Tim and my cousin Victor was there too. When I got back from the clinic to pick Miles up I cought the two grown men, on their hands and knees pushing Miles around the living room on a little 4 wheeler. Blessed. That's how I felt about the love Miles was recieving from them while I had zipped Kendra to the clinic. Sweet little Miles is a walking man now!! Well, kind of walking - maybe stumbling is a better way to explain it.
We've been celebrating growth in all of our childrens language skills lately. While watching The Cat in the Hat the other day, Noah was sitting on my lap. I felt him jolt around to the suspenseful music. It was really rewarding to see him recognize those auditory cues in the form of music. Music is a toughy for kids with implants. They say that it 'sounds' more mechanical. Seeing as to how Noah doesn't really understand what 'normal' sounds like, maybe it will be an advantage that he has already just adapted to. The dreaded kindergarden letter came in the mail yesterday. Ugh, if I only knew all the answers in life!
Today, Noah told me that he is sooo very proud of me. The best part of why he is proud of me is that all I did to make him proud was cut up a banana and share it with all the kids. OH the simple things :) I'm hoping I can take some lessons from Noah on recognizing the beauty in the small things!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment