It's been a little while since I've taken time to sit at the computer and give an update, a brand new month seemed like a good opportunity :)
Happy August 1st. 2016 is more than half over, good gravy, time flies. Yesterday, we celebrated Noah's 9th birthday. Holy guacamole, I have a 9 year old. Last minute, a little bit on the fly, we planned an awesome day for him. We surprised him by picking up his good buddy Isiah and taking them (along with Kendra and Miles) to Sioux Falls to the SkyZone! Along the way, we stopped at DQ to eat some lunch. Sixty minutes of jumping at a trampoline park provides a lot of smiles, laughs and a REAL good time. There was only one problem, Matt seems to have forgotten that he is almost 30 ;). He had a spectacular jump/flip something-or-another and instantly had a stiff neck. Whoopsie! But... what an amazing Dad he is, getting in there and playing with the kids. It's something I'm sure they will look back on and appreciate about him.
On our way back home, we stopped and picked up Pizza Hut, because another surprise was waiting for Noah when we got back home. The grandparents, uncle Nick and uncle Dylin and Auntie Ash to the rescue! They were all waiting for us when we got back home, with a home that was nicely decorated in Power Ranger decor and balloons. We celebrated our sweet boy, showered him with some presents, pizza and a homemade ice cream cake. Life is good :).
Naturally, there was a slight hiccup in the night. Noah's CI has been shifty lately. There has been a couple of times where it just wouldn't work momentarily, then it would turn back on. Luckily, we made it home before his cochlear implant stopped working. I tried to trouble shoot it, borrowing chords from his sisters, switching out pieces, trial and error (like a boss...) but I had no luck. So it was on to digging through the "back-up" processors, when suddenly my heart sunk. I knew that Noah's backup was an old "dinosaur" processor. The one he started with 8 years ago. Since we've had kids with cochlear implants, there have been improvements made that have been HUGE! When Kendra got implanted, her processor was better technology than Noah's original CI. Then, when Aubree was implanted, we saw another upgrade in technology.
Noah's ear quit working right about the time we were going to sing happy birthday to him. My mom said, we can still sing to him, he will still enjoy it. Regrettably, I said No. I continued to serve everyone cake, then it was on to searching for his back up processor.
Bad mommy moment. I have been so hopeful that we wouldn't need to use this OLD processor, possibly in denial, over zealous or just plain not smart. His "map" or "program" that he has been using is not current on his back up processor, not even a little bit :( When we finally gathered up all the pieces, found some batteries and fired up the old processor, Noah put it on and made a little wrinkle in his nose. I said "Can you hear me Noah?" He said, "What?" loudly. Then he said "Yeahh.. I can hear you, its just really different. Kinda loud in some parts, there is a little bit of buzz and maybe a beep?" Blahh... my heart sank.
Rarely do I go through pity party times, but yesterday I had one.. in a big way. The party went on, Noah played with his friends and new pogo stick until dark. After everyone went home, we cleaned up the house and then enjoyed some quiet TV time. Noah popped on his favorite show, "Full House", and all seemed well. The four younger kids were ready for bed, and Noah wanted to watch his show, so we let him.
Soon enough, everyone was asleep, except restless me. I laid awake in bed, feeling sorry for myself and worrying about ears. Ridiculous when you reflect on it. It was 11:18 p.m., and I was remembering how Noah entered the world 9 years prior. We had no idea what it meant to be parents until that very moment. I was feeling anxious and recklessly thinking about how terrible of a mom I was, wondering how Noah's "old, blue, dinosaur ear" was working for him. I decided to go downstairs and check on him. He had fallen asleep on the couch, his CI next to him. I woke him up, and put his ear on him. I hugged him tightly, while he was a bit confused, he hugged back. I had tears in my eyes, and he asked me whats wrong? I said "I forgot to sing happy birthday to you". He said "well jeesh, don't cry. Just sing to me now. It's officially my birthday, right?" I laughed, then hugged him tighter and sang to my sweet boy, a light, creaky and crackly rendition of "Happy Birthday". When I was done, I kept a tight hold on him and he said the sweetest words to me. He said "mom, don't worry about my ear, I know we will get the good one fixed. You always take really good care of us." I laughed, simultaneously doing a terrible job holding back my tears. He was ready for his bed so I walked with him up the stairs, led him to his bed and kissed him goodnight.
I'm a very blessed momma, to have such a sweet and insightful little boy.
Five beautiful and insightful little human beings. I woke up this morning, early, thanks to two giggly and bouncy little girls. I tried to pretend to sleep for about 15 minutes, thinking maybe they would follow suit.... no such luck ;). Aubree started asking for her CI's, I kept saying "5 more minutes..." Finally, Baylee said, "ummmm..... mom. Aubs needs her Eeeeaaarrrrssss, or she can't hhhheeeeeaaaaarrrrr me". So up and at 'em I was.
Aubree is doing amazing. She asks for her CI's, so I know she enjoys being able to hear. She is responsive to all sorts of different noises. She recognizes door bells, can hear the TV when it makes the little beep that its being turned on. Today, she even heard me call her name over the noise of the vacuum cleaner. That right there, is amazing stuff. She has gotten soooo independent. Before, when her CI magnet would come loose and pop off her head she would have to find someone to put it back on. Now, she can put it back on ALL. BY. HERSELF!! Seriously, that is a big deal. Even bigger than that, if her battery goes dead or for some reason her implant just isn't working, she comes to the adult in charge and says "my ears not working, its not working". For starters, just being able to advocate for herself, is too cool. Add in the fact that she speaks in sentences that perfect complete sense === yahooooo!!!! She is doing great. Big thanks to her little sister, mother hen Baylee. Bay talks a mile a minute and Aubs is doing her best to keep up.
Miles might be the sweetest little boy I will ever meet. He is so gentle and sweet and kind. His language and speech is without a doubt on par. He cannot wait for kindergarten, he wants to learn how to read more and how to do math :) Miles makes sure he tells me I'm beautiful, and that he loves me nearly every day. He will surely make a great husband, some day :)
Kendra, my little sassy yet sweet 6 year old is also doing very well. She is a big help with her younger siblings and is by far my best "house-helper". She enjoys making the beds in the morning, just to see me be ecstatic and thankful for her service. Kendra is ready for first grade and I want to be ready to send her! I just need to make sure all the processors are working great so I can send the kids with CI's to school with some confidence.
July was a busy month, complete with a couple of weddings, sunday-fundays with some super cool friends, valleyfair, a twins game with work(in a suite!!!), the warrior dash with some of the best friends a gal could ask for, working a pretty good bit for McDonalds and just the regular ins-an-outs of being a mom of five super sweet, bionic ear wearing super heroes.
Matt still continues to drive to Marshall for work, daily. He used some vacation time in July to handle the hustle and bustle of all the activities we participated in July, so I think August might break us, lol. Back to him being on the road 50 hours a month. Ishta.... but he handles it with grace. Never does he come home and complain of fatigue or tiredness. We actually met with a realtor a couple of weeks ago, just to see what the market looks like in our area if we were to decide to sell. You never can tell where this world will lead you, so were trying to look to God to make some decisions.
August is a little bit more laid back. Which is probably a good thing, because school is just around the corner!
Today I am choosing to be encouraged and be blessed by all the circumstances that have built me up to the person I am today.
No comments:
Post a Comment